Macon area is a hub as thousands flee Hurricane Dorian
About a million residents of southeastern Georgia and eastern Florida have been ordered to evacuate for Hurricane Dorian, and Bibb County is a hub for many of those residents because of the junction of Interstates 16 and 75.
The Georgia Department of Transportation started contraflow of Interstate 16 from Savannah to Dublin at 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to a news release. That means all lanes, including the eastbound lanes, are westbound.
All eastbound access is being blocked from Dublin to Savannah on I-16 during the contraflow process, which will be in place until further notification. Travelers may exit contraflow lanes at various locations.
Before the contraflow started, GDOT and its contractors in the western portion of the state planned to remove barriers and lane closures as part of the long-term Interstate 75/Interstate 16 Improvements Project only along I-16 from Spring Street to its junction with I-75 in Bibb County.
For real-time information on work status and traffic conditions, call 511, visit 511ga.org or download the Georgia 511 app.
For the latest up-to-date information, visit The Network - Georgia Department of Transportation’s news hub.
An American Red Cross shelter for evacuees opened Monday at the South Bibb Recreation Center at 7035 Houston Road.
Other shelters were opened Dublin High School and East Laurens High School. More shelter locations were expected to open later Monday. For an updated list of shelters, visit www.gema.georgia.gov.
Atlanta Motor Speedway also opened up to evacuees, offering a camping space free of charge for dry RV and tent campers. A limited number of camping spaces with water, power and sewer also were available for $20 per night.
Several shelters for pets also are open, according to the Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency:
- Bibb County Animal Control: 4214 Fulton Mill Road, Macon, GA 31216 (Kennels)
- Okefenokee Fairgrounds: 2451 Knight Avenue, Waycross, GA 31503 (Kennels, Livestock)
- Augusta Animal Services: 4164 Mack Lane Road, Augusta, GA 30906 (Kennels)
- Hippodrome Horse Complex: 5540 Jefferson Davis Highway, Beech Island, SC 29842 (Equine)
- McDuffie Animal Control: 802 White Oak Road, Thomson, GA 30824 (Kennels)
- Belle Meade Hunt: 3532 Wrightsboro Road, Thomson, GA 30824 (Equine)
- Pine Top Farm: 1432 Augusta Highway, Thomson, GA 30824 (Equine)
- Southern Pines: 575 Southern Pines Road, Dublin 31021 (Equine)
- South Eastern Arena: 2410 Arena Road, Unadilla, GA 31091 (Equine)
- Paws Humane Society: 4900 Milgen Road, Columbus 31909 (Kennels)