Georgia

Missing 3-year-old boy taken from mom at gunpoint is found safe, Georgia police say

UPDATE:

J’Shawn Winn, the 3-year-old taken at gunpoint from his Atlanta-area home last week, has been found safe, according to Clayton County police.

Authorities confirmed J’Shawn was returned to his mother on Thursday, Nov. 11.

The toddler’s father, who is wanted on kidnapping and aggravated assault charges, hasn’t been found.

ORIGINAL:

Georgia authorities are searching for a 3-year-old boy they say was taken from his mother at gunpoint.

J’Shawn Winn was reported missing from a home in College Park following an argument between his parents on Tuesday, Nov. 9, according to Clayton County police. Officers arrived just before 5:30 p.m. and learned the boy’s father, a 17-year-old male, had taken him by force without the mother’s permission.

Officers got in contact with the father, who said he would return the child home — but never did, according to a police news release.

J’Shawn is described as having brown eyes and black hair and standing about 3 feet tall. Police said he was last seen wearing a Spider-Man shirt, gray and black sweatpants, and no shoes.

Authorities have also issued an arrest warrant for the boy’s father on charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault and making terroristic threats, police said. However, the child’s mother told police she doesn’t believe her son is in danger.

Anyone with information on J’Shawn’s whereabouts is asked to call Clayton County police at 770-477-3550.

College Park is about 9 miles southwest of Atlanta.

Read Next
Read Next
Read Next

This story was originally published November 10, 2021 at 6:09 PM.

Tanasia Kenney
Sun Herald
Tanasia is a service journalism reporter at the Charlotte Observer | CharlotteFive, working remotely from Atlanta, Georgia. She covers restaurant openings/closings in Charlotte and statewide explainers for the NC Service Journalism team. She’s been with McClatchy since 2020.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER