Macon teen strangled sister in family argument over Wi-Fi, investigator says. She died.

A teenager accused of choking his sister to death last year had been arguing with his mother about Wi-Fi before the fatal confrontation, a Bibb County sheriff’s investigator testified Thursday.

Kevon Watkins, then 16, is charged with murder in the 2018 strangling death his 20-year-old sister, Alexus Breanna Watkins.

At a bench trial before Bibb Superior Court Judge Verda M. Colvin on Thursday morning, Bibb County sheriff’s investigator Marcus Baker testified that Watkins and his mother “had a conflict about Wi-Fi” and its slow bandwidth due to the number of people using it.

Alexus Watkins jumped in to defuse the situation, Baker said.

Kevon Watkins was still holding on to his sister when a deputy walked inside the bedroom of the house on Westmount Road about 5:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 2, 2018, according to an incident report from the sheriff’s office.

In an interview with Kevon Watkins immediately after the incident, Baker testified that “he couldn’t really explain to me why he didn’t release her.”

Kevon Watkins was booked in the Macon Regional Youth Detention Center.

Alexus Watkins died about 3 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018, at the Medical Center, Navicent Health.

Baker served Kevon Watkins with a warrant for felony murder and told him the news that his sister was dead.

“He cried. I cried too,” Baker testified. “It’s a sad situation.”

‘I never intended to kill her’

Latoya Watkins was sick the day her son and daughter had a fatal fight.

She testified that her 13-year-old son came in to her bedroom and told her that Kevon had changed the Wi-Fi password so no one else could use it. Latoya Watkins then unplugged the router and took it to her room.

Then, Kevon “came in my room and started grabbing something, it might have been a cord off the Internet box,” Latoya Watkins said. “My daughter ran in there, she grabbed him ... He acted like he was going to hit me.”

Alexus Watkins charged at Kevon Watkins and hit him in the face, Latoya Watkins said. The siblings started tussling on the bed then on the floor. Their 13-year-old brother came in to try to intervene, but Latoya Watkins said she kept him away and tried to stop the fight herself.

“I was trying to pull them apart,” she said. “I thought it was a normal brother-sister fight because they always fuss and fight like this.”

Latoya Watkins called the children’s father, then her oldest son. No one answered. She then called 911.

After the deputy got Keon Watkins to let go of his sister, Latoya Watkins told her daughter to “get up off of the floor,” she said. When Alexus Watkins did not respond, “I started screaming” and the deputy started CPR, Latoya Watkins said.

“I didn’t realize he was choking her that hard,” she said.

Kevon Watkins has never been in trouble with the law or at school, Latoya Watkins said.

“He stays in the room all day long playing video games,” she said.

Kevon Watkins, now 18, testified that he loved his sister.

“I never intended to kill her at all,” he said, tears erupting. “She taught me most everything I know.”

Kevon Watkins graduated from Westside High School earlier this year.

“I didn’t want to walk because she wasn’t there,” he said. “She used to take me to school, take me home.”

Assistant District Attorney Jason Martin asked why Kevon Watkins didn’t just let his sister go.

“Because she was going to beat me,” Kevon Watkins said.

Alexus Watkins was about 5 feet, 5 inches tall, and weighed about 155 pounds. Kevon was smaller and weighed less than 130 pounds.

Closing arguments in this case are set to begin Friday morning.

Related stories from Macon Telegraph

Laura Corley covers education news for The Telegraph, where she advocates for government transparency and writes about issues affecting today’s youth. She grew up in Middle Georgia and graduated from Mercer University’s Center for Collaborative Journalism.