Crime

21-year-old Monroe County man dies in sleep. Authorities suspect overdose caused by toxic pills

Jackson Moore
Jackson Moore

It was just after midnight Sunday when Jack Carson Moore III came home from hanging out with friends.

The 21-year-old went to his bedroom without speaking to his father, who would later tell Monroe County sheriff’s deputies that that wasn’t unusual.

Moore went to sleep and didn’t wake up.

Jack Moore Jr. found his son’s body about 9:20 a.m. Sunday, according to a deputy sheriff’s report.

Moore’s mother, who had driven from Macon to her ex-husband’s house off Pea Ridge Road, told deputies that her son “used marijuana, drank alcohol and took Xanax on a regular basis,” the report said.

Moore is one of four people to die in Middle Georgia in the past few days from what authorities suspect may be a toxic substance inside pills that are being passed off as prescription drugs.

However, “that can’t be determined until the toxicology report comes back,” Sgt. Lawson Bittick said.

Since Sunday, nearly 20 others have been hospitalized for suspected overdoses in Macon, Warner Robins, Perry, Centerville and Albany.

Doctors and law enforcement united Tuesday for a news conference to warn the public about the lethal substance, which agencies across the state are still working to identify.

Doctors said difficulty breathing and slurred speech come on fairly quickly after taking the drug, and patients have experienced respiratory failure and unconsciousness.

“We need to know who’s putting this poison in the community,” Bibb County Sheriff David Davis said. “This is a poison, and it acts very fast. Right now, our primary concern is to help those who are suffering overdoses and then get more leads.”

Later on Tuesday, friends and family packed in the driveway of the Moore home in Bolingbroke.

“He was just the sweetest person you’d ever meet, you know,” Parker Moore said of his brother. “All strangers were friends to him.”

Jackson Moore III graduated from Howard High School and had been working at Moore’s Furniture on Riverside Drive, a family business that has operated in Macon for generations.

He was a good fisherman, too, his brother said.

“I remember the day he came home. I was 6,” the 27-year-old Parker Moore said. “He was too young. ... It’s the worst feeling in the world, losing a sibling.”

Laura Corley: 478-744-4334, @Lauraecor

Related stories from Macon Telegraph

  Comments