Accident victim’s family searching for answers

As Shannon Hendricks’ family prepares for her funeral this afternoon, they want answers about her death.

Linda Kimble, Hendricks’ mother, went searching for information Tuesday at the Macon Police Department, but she was turned away with the promise a fatality investigator would be calling.

“There’s still a lot of it I still don’t understand,” Kimble said after viewing her daughter’s body Tuesday afternoon. “It’s very difficult. They’ve had the paperwork, so they know.”

Shannon Hendricks was thrown from a Ford quad-cab pickup that went over the guardrail on Interstate 75 north just past the Hardeman Avenue entrance ramp about 3 a.m. Friday. She was in the truck with six other people who had left the Whiskey River nightclub on Pio Nono Avenue.

None of them was wearing a seat belts, Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones said Friday.

Only six people were accounted for immediately after the accident. Henry Williams Jr., of Monroe County, was missing.

Macon police confirmed Tuesday that the pickup was registered in his name, but investigators have not named the driver.

Kimble said she only knew one of the people her daughter was with, Monica Humes, of Bonaire.

When Jones was combing an embankment Friday morning off I-75 looking for the missing accident victim, the phone rang at his office. It was an attorney representing Henry Williams, he said.

“Holly Hogue called the office and said she had a client at large and wanted to talk to me, but I was out there looking for him,” Jones said Tuesday.

Williams’ brothers Robert and Saul, who were with him that morning, started walking from the scene and were picked up by a motorist who took them to Coliseum Medical Centers.

Humes, Christina Moninipour and Jeremy Hamm were taken by ambulance to The Medical Center of Central Georgia, Jones said.

Macon police have released few details since the accident. A Monday news release stated Henry Williams “was alive and well” and that all questions should be addressed to Hogue, who was identified in the release as the “family’s attorney.”

Hogue declined to confirm Tuesday whether she was representing Henry, Saul and Robert Williams, but only said she had known the family a long time.

“I’m all for freedom of the press, but I have to decline comment,” Hogue said Tuesday afternoon. “I wish I could talk more, but I’m uncomfortable with it because they may be charging these boys for all I know. I really wish I could reveal the details because it would be much less intriguing. But I can’t, to protect my clients.”

Jones said he received a call early Friday from Deputy Coroner Lonnie Miley about the missing man.

“Lonnie Miley was so concerned the other guy was there that he wanted the truck lifted up in the air,” Jones said. “He really was concerned that guy was lying out there dead.”

The police news release said authorities learned that Henry Williams was fine about 2 p.m. Friday. But police failed to make that information public until after 5:30 p.m. Monday.

Kimble said she’ll never understand how Henry Williams could have left the scene. She wonders how the case will proceed — and if the initial investigation has been compromised.

Kimble said investigator Sam Riley called her Tuesday, but only to say he was still working on the report.

“They don’t want to tell me the wrong information. That’s the way they explained it to me,” she said.

Kimble’s daughter had recently graduated from Central Georgia Technical College and was pursuing a career as a lab technician.

“She was a sweet child,” Kimble said. “She loves her family and loved her kids.”

Hendricks is survived by a 10-year-old and 4-year-old, she said.

Her funeral will be at 2 p.m. today at St. Phillip’s AME Church in Culloden.

To contact writer Liz Fabian, call 744-4303.