Alleged gang leader’s security guard pleads guilty in Wings Cafe killings
One of two men facing federal charges in the fatal Wings Cafe shootout pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and violating the state’s gang act Monday, leaving three men to stand trial next month.
Derek Taylor, a 30-year-old Macon man who authorities say provided security for 40-year-old Vertuice Wall, the alleged “first coordinator” for the Gangster Disciples gang in Macon, was sentenced to 12 years in prison. He entered his plea during a hearing in Bibb County Superior Court.
This year, Taylor, Wall and 30 other alleged members of the Gangster Disciples street gang were indicted in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia. The indictment alleges that gang members committed 10 murders, 12 attempted murders, two robberies and fraud that has resulted in losses of more than $450,000.
The federal indictment included allegations relating to the Dec. 12, 2014, shootout at Wings Cafe, a Bloomfield Drive nightclub known to be a Crips gang hangout.
As a provision of his plea agreement with prosecutors, Taylor will serve any sentence he receives in the federal case simultaneously with his Bibb County sentence.
Prosecutors have said that members of the Blacc Team street gang, a division of the larger Gangster Disciples, traveled together to the club and went in united to confront a man who’d had past run-ins with the group.
In 2012, Gangster Disciples members had shot the man with a .357-caliber gun, Assistant District Attorney Sandra Matson said.
On that night in December nearly two years ago, 29-year-old Emmanuel McGhee flicked a cigarette into the man’s face, sparking a fight that included people throwing punches, bottles and chairs.
Shots were fired, fatally injuring Corey Hollingshed, 25, George Henley, 34, and Derrick Jackson, 38. A woman was shot four times, but she survived.
Had Taylor gone to trial, evidence would have shown that Taylor ran out of the club after the fighting began, but before shots were fired, Matson said.
Armed with a .357-caliber gun, Taylor fired a shot in the parking lot. After getting in a car to leave, he was pursued by police and tossed the gun in a CVS parking lot.
Police found the gun later and tested it. It matched the 2012 shooting, Matson said.
During Monday’s hearing, Taylor shook his head from side to side at times when Matson described the allegations against him, but he didn’t speak except to answer questions posed by either Matson or the judge. He did ask at one point if he’d serve his sentence in federal prison.
After his sentence was announced and as Taylor was being led from the courtroom, several women who attended the hearing shouted to him, “I love you.”
Taylor hollered back, “I love y’all.”
A trial is set to begin Aug. 15 for Wall, 31-year-old Kenyata Norreece Lester and 31-year-old Tavarus Antwone Coney. Each man is charged with murder and other counts related to the shootout.
Markques Patterson, 31, pleaded guilty last week to voluntary manslaughter and violating the state’s Street Gang Terrorism and Prevention Act. He was sentenced to 30 years.
McGhee was sentenced to 20 years, eight of them in prison, after taking a best interest plea July 8, pleading guilty to aggravated assault and violating the state’s gang act.
Shavious Antwan Balkcom, 27, pleaded guilty June 30 to violating the gang act and two misdemeanor simple assault charges. He was sentenced to remain in jail until July 14, 2017, and serve 15 years on probation with special gang conditions.
Master John Henry Brown, 25, pleaded guilty Wednesday to two misdemeanor counts of simple assault and one count of violating the gang act. He was ordered to remain in jail until July 20, 2017, serve 15 years on probation, pay a $500 fine and pay $500 in attorney’s fees.
In April, Brinton Clinton Williams, 31, of Warner Robins pleaded guilty to violating the gang act and two counts of being party to the crime of simple assault. He is set to be released from custody after he testifies at the trial for the remaining men charged in the case. He also must serve 15 years on probation.
Information from Telegraph archives was used in this report.
Amy Leigh Womack: 478-744-4398, @awomackmacon
This story was originally published July 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM with the headline "Alleged gang leader’s security guard pleads guilty in Wings Cafe killings."