A 46-year-old man found dead in his Pierce Drive home Saturday had passed out from a medical condition while cooking at his stove, authorities say.
An autopsy Monday found that Gregory Milani Jr. died from burns with soot and smoke inhalation, according to Houston County Coroner Danny Galpin.
Milani’s body was discovered more than 12 hours later after his wife, who was out of town and unable to reach him, asked the police to check on him, said Warner Robins fire Capt. Danny Williams.
Also, neighbors had expressed concern to police about him, Galpin said.
Never miss a local story.
Police peered through a window and saw his body on the kitchen floor, where Milani apparently fell when his clothes caught fire and he inhaled soot and smoke, Williams said.
Milani never regained consciousness after he passed out, and the inhalation of the soot likely put him in an even deeper sleep before his death, Williams said.
The incident was deemed an accidental fire death, Williams said.
Milani was retired from the Air Force, said his stepdaughter, Victoria Cooper.
“It’s unfortunate that such a great man had to die in such a sad way,” Cooper said.