High School Sports

8 Macon players suspended, 4 schools fined after basketball brawls. What we know

The Georgia High School Association on Friday announced penalties for two separate in-game altercations during recent varsity basketball games involving Bibb County School District players.

Thirteen student-athletes from Macon and East Dublin were suspended, and four basketball teams — three from Macon and one from East Dublin — were fined, according to the Georgia High School Association. The association has not disclosed the amount of the fines.

The decision follows two fights that erupted within a week of each other, one of which led to three warrants being issued for men connected with assault charges.

The first occurred Feb. 6 during a boys basketball game between Northeast High and Southwest High.

A video of the fight circulated online last week and has drawn thousands of views. It shows two opposing players bumping into each other before a fight breaks out.

Multiple people ran onto the court to intervene, the video shows.

The altercation broke out early in the fourth quarter following a foul called on Northeast, GHSA said. At the time, visiting Southwest was leading 63-49. With 5:17 remaining in the fourth quarter, officials made the decision to end the game, the association added.

The fight resulted in a one-game suspension for one Northeast High player and a one-game suspension for one Southwest High player.

Both teams have been fined for leaving the bench area during the incident.

The second physical confrontation occurred Feb. 10 in the closing seconds of the girls basketball game between Central High School and host East Laurens High School, which won 41-38.

The altercation began when an East Laurens player and a Central player began fighting with seconds left in the game.

Video footage from a source and police records The Telegraph obtained from the Laurens County Sheriff’s Office show that the fight between the players prompted spectators to run onto the court and begin fighting. One man struck at least two Bibb County Schools players, according to police records.

The incident report said a third Central High player was on the ground when a male East Laurens High School student kicked her in the face. An East Dublin photographer also struck Central High coach Kowacie Reeves in the back of the head, police said.

Three warrants were issued for the three men on battery, riot and public disruption of schools charges.

The fight resulted in a one-game suspension for six Central High players and a one-game suspension for five East Laurens High players.

Both teams were also fined for players leaving the bench.

“The GHSA remains committed to promoting sportsmanship and maintaining a safe and respectful environment for student-athletes, coaches, officials and spectators,” the association said in a statement.

The Telegraph filed an open records request for incident reports with the Bibb County School District seeking information on reported injuries and suspensions among involved student-athletes and coaches. The district acknowledged the request but did not provide information before publication.

Read Next

This story was originally published February 13, 2026 at 8:02 PM.

Related Stories from Macon Telegraph
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER