Crime

Facebook picture helped identify a Central High School student’s alleged killer

Wesley Holt walks into Bibb County Magistrate Court on Thursday for a commitment hearing. Holt is charged in the shooting of Central High School student Jayvon Sherman.
Wesley Holt walks into Bibb County Magistrate Court on Thursday for a commitment hearing. Holt is charged in the shooting of Central High School student Jayvon Sherman. jvorhees@macon.com

A tip from a passer-by and a picture posted on Facebook are among reasons Wesley Jamison Holt is being charged with murder in the slaying of Central High School student Jayvon Sherman last month.

We have a witness that can put him at the scene at the time of this crime,” Sgt. Pamela Williams said during a commitment hearing for Holt in Bibb County Magistrate Court on Thursday. “We have a witness along with a Facebook page showing him in the position with what we believe was the weapon used to kill Jayvon Shermon.”

Sherman, 16, was gunned down Oct. 19 about 7:25 a.m. outside the old Winship Elementary School on Beech Avenue. He died at the Medical Center, Navicent Health, from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Holt was already in jail when he was charged with murder Nov. 1.

In December 2015, the 19-year-old was charged with burglarizing a home on Cherry Avenue, not far from where Sherman was killed.

He also was charged with obstruction for running away when a sheriff’s deputy told him to stop, according to Bibb County Superior Court records. Holt was sentenced as a first offender in October 2016.

Then, in December 2016, Holt was charged with another burglary, this one at a home on Britt Avenue. He was in jail until July, in part because he hadn't made any of the fine and fee payments stipulated under his first-offender status.

Holt was arrested on Halloween and charged with violating probation.

Nyonnohweah Seekie, a public defender representing Holt, asked Williams if witnesses reported any reason for why the shooting happened.

“Based on witnesses’ statements and evidence we have, it was an attempted armed robbery,” Williams said. Other evidence would be presented at trial, she said.

Magistrate Judge Barbara Harris determined that there was sufficient evidence to proceed with the murder case.

Laura Corley: 478-744-4334, @Lauraecor

  Comments