Houston & Peach

Armed woman barricades self in Houston County home, then slips out

An armed woman who was holed up in a Glenwood Avenue mobile home Thursday afternoon after Houston County sheriff’s deputies attempted to serve an arrest warrant slipped out.

Houston County Sheriff Cullen Talton said the woman climbed out a window of the mobile home between the arrival of the deputies from the warrant division and before the sheriff’s response team arrived on the scene.

Sheriff’s deputies later searched the mostly residential area for the woman — identified by Talton as 54-year-old Deborah Winslette — without success.

“She’s one of the few that slipped by,” said Houston County sheriff’s Capt. M.J. Stokes, who predicted the warrant division will catch up with Winslette.

Winslette is facing two counts of felony obstruction and two counts of terroristic threats from the incident, Stokes said.

Winslette pulled a shotgun on both warrant division deputies inside the home, Stokes said.

The deputies took cover inside a section of the home and called for backup, Stokes said. Winslette retreated farther into the residence.

The arriving response team, a tactical unit, attempted to make make contact with Winslette. They later threw gas canisters into the residence as well as distraction devices known as flash bangs, said Houston County sheriff’s Capt. Ronnie Harlowe.

Winslette apparently escaped out the window before the police perimeter was set up, Stokes said.

The incident began to unfold about 1:30 p.m. when deputies arrived with a warrant for Winslette’s arrest on an aggravated assault charge. She’s accused of assaulting her husband, Stokes said.

The residence is located on Glenwood Avenue near Sylvia Avenue off South Houston Lake Road. The home is in an unincorporated pocket of Houston County near Warner Robins. A shopping center is near the residential area.

Authorities had blocked the intersections of South Houston Lake Road and Glenwood Avenue and South Houston Lake Road and Sylvia Avenue. The incident scene cleared late Thursday afternoon.