The William and Jane Levitt House in Macon has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Rehabilitation of the house, located at 3720 Overlook Drive, was approved for state tax incentives by the Historic Preservation Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The property is privately owned and not open to the public.
The home is a contemporary-style ranch house. Built in 1952, its low form with wide overhanging eaves, U-shaped footprint, use of natural building materials, recessed entrance and integration of indoor and outdoor spaces are indicative of the style and type, according to a release from the DNR.
The house, designed for the Levitt family, is a good example of the work of Macon architect Bernard A. Webb. Webb, a graduate of the Georgia Institute of Technology, was known for his innovative designs and modern plans. He interned in the office of Macon architect Ellamae Ellis League, who, along with her daughter Jane League Newton, were among the city's pioneers in the modern movement.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Webb's admiration for the ideas of Frank Lloyd Wright, coupled with his creative instincts and forward-thinking clients, allowed him to produce innovative houses throughout his career.
Webb's career also included landmark public and commercial buildings, such as the modern Crisp County Courthouse in Cordele and the Westgate Shopping Center in Macon, the first air-conditioned shopping center in the state.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects and districts worthy of preservation.