A Macon nursing home has six deaths, more than 90 coronavirus cases, report says
A Macon nursing home has had six deaths, and more than 90 residents and staff members have tested positive for COVID-19.
Pruitt Health Macon, at 2255 Anthony Road, has 72 residents and 20 staff members who have tested positive for the new coronavirus, and six people have died, according to a report released Monday by the Georgia Department of Community Health.
Zebulon Health Park and Rehabilitation, which has one reported case, is the only other Bibb County facility to report a coronavirus-related death.
Other facilities in Bibb County that have had at least one resident or staff member test positive for COVID-19 include Antebellum Arlington Place, Archway Transitional Care Center, Eastview Nursing Center and Macon Rehabilitation and Healthcare, according to the report.
Georgia long-term care facilities have a total of 1,929 resident COVID-19 cases, 966 staff member cases and 295 deaths.
Long-term care facilities provided the data to the Georgia Department of Community Health. Different state reports can vary, depending on when information is made publicly available, according to the report.
Pruitt Health’s website still reports only 68 positive cases of COVID-19 in the Macon facility.
“We know how stressful this time is for our patients and their loved ones,” said Neil L. Pruitt Jr., chairman and CEO of Pruitt Health, in a news release last week. “That’s why we decided to publish location-specific COVID-19 data on our website to help families stay informed and connected.
Nursing homes and other long-term care facilities have been hotbeds of COVID-19 across Georgia and the United States.
The CDC notes that nursing home populations are at the highest risk of COVID-19 infections, since residents are typically older adults with underlying medical conditions.
This story was originally published April 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM.