Middle Georgian’s will have plenty of opportunities to honor the legacy of civil rights icon Martin Luther King, Jr. as a bevy of events are scheduled around the upcoming holiday.
The federal holiday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, is celebrated Monday.
Local governments throughout Middle Georgia will be closed for the holiday, including Warner Robins and Houston and Bibb counties.
Below is schedule of events leading up to and on the holiday.
Georgia College breakfast: Magnolia Ballroom at the Student Activities Center, Milledgeville, 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. celebration: Milledgeville Georgia Military College’s Goldstein Center for Performing Arts, Milledgeville, 2:30 p.m.
25th Annual MLK Parade: Downtown Dublin, Noon
- HBCU Art Series “Fisk Jubilee Singers:” The Douglass Theatre, 355 Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd., Macon, 5 p.m., cost: $20-$25
- Living the Dream in Worship Service: Unity Baptist Church, 3280 Millerfield Road, Macon, 6 p.m.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Awards Banquet: Alexander Ballroom, 3670 Eisenhower Parkway, Macon, $40 per $240 per table, 6 p.m.
- 29th annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast Celebration: With guest speaker Cathy Cox, dean of Mercer University Law School and former Georgia Secretary of State, St. Peter Claver Catholic Church, 131 Ward St., Macon, 7:30 a.m., Suggested donation $6
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Observance: Fort Valley State University, 9 a.m. at Wildcat Commons Clubhouse and service starts 10 a.m. at C.W. Pettigrew Auditorium, 1005 State University Drive, Fort Valley
- Pleasant Hill Neighborhood Prayer Walk: Meet at Jefferson Long Park, 436 Pursley St., Macon, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual City-Wide Memorial March: Starts at Macon’s Booker T. Washington Community Center, Memorial Park Recreation Center, Rosa Jackson Recreation Center and Frank Johnson Recreation Center, 11 a.m.
- March Greetings: Macon-Bibb County Government Center, 700 Poplar St., Macon, noon.
MLK Climaxing Church Celebration: With guest speaker Rev. Henry Ficklin, Steward Chapel AME Church, 887 Forsyth St., 12:30 p.m.
Daybreak- Radical Hospitality in Action: Program, book release and signing of “Daybreak: Radical Hospitality in Action.” Guest speaker Kirby Godsey, Daybreak, 174 Walnut St., Macon, 3-6 p.m.
90th Memorial Birthday Celebration: Tubman Museum 310 Cherry St., Macon, 5-7 p.m.
Note this: Because of the holiday, residential garbage pickup will be delayed one day for the rest of the week in Macon-Bibb and unincorporated Houston County. There will be a normal pickup schedule in Warner Robins.