A man killed early Sunday in a fire in south Putnam County has been identified as Chris Crane, 31, of Haddock.
Crane was camping out in a wooden storage shed next to the mobile home of his friends he was visiting to go deer hunting when the fire broke out, said Putnam County Fire Rescue Chief Shane Hill.
Crane was using an electric space heater plugged into an extension cord.
The mobile home is on Riverview Road off of Napier Road.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
The father of one of Crane’s friends, who was inside the mobile home and is an early riser, saw the flames and called 911, Hill said. Fire Rescue was dispatched just after 6:30 a.m.
The first arriving firefighter found the shed engulfed with a partial roof collapse, Hill said. He described the fire as “unsurvivable.”
The fire appears to have been electrical and accidental, he said.
The state fire marshal’s office is helping with the fire investigation. Final autopsy results are pending.
“It’s just appears to be a tragedy,” Hill said. “My heart goes out to the family and the friends for the loss.”
He asked for prayers for Crane’s family and friends.