With more than 22,300 employees, an annual federal payroll of $1.3 billion and the value of indirect job creation, Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins is clearly the economic engine driving Middle Georgia.
But among the top midstate employers is a diverse mix that includes school systems and universities, city and county governments, health care systems, distribution centers, aerospace industries and companies that make buses, zippers and snacks.
If you're trying to figure out where to work in Middle Georgia, this list might be a good place to start.
-- Linda Morris
1. Robins Air Force Base 22,300
2. Geico 5,690
3. The Medical Center of Central Georgia 4,600
4. Houston County Board of Education 3,916
5. Bibb County Board of Education 3.700
6. Houston Healthcare 2,355
7. Perdue Farms 2,267
8. Macon-Bibb County government 2,103
9. Blue Bird Corp. 1,700
10. Coliseum Health System 1,400
11. Frito-Lay 1,352
12. YKK (Macon, Dublin) 1,087
13. Mercer University 937
14. Georgia College 917
15. Graphic Packaging Corp. (Perry, Macon) 840
16. Baldwin County Board of Education 830
17. Triumph Aerostructures-Vought Aircraft Div. 800+
18. Academy Sports + Outdoors distribution center 800
19. Houston County government 762
20. Wal-Mart stores (Bibb County) 740
21. Monroe County Board of Education 612
22. Fort Valley State University 600
23. United States Postal Service 600
24. Ricoh 575
25. Georgia Farm Bureau 525
Sources: Macon Economic Development Commission, Houston County Development Authority, Development Authority of the City of Milledgeville & Baldwin County, Peach County Chamber of Commerce, Development Authority of the City of Jeffersonville and Twiggs County, Robins Air Force Base and some of the employers.