Makes about 16 regular brownies or 30 bite-size brownies
1 15-ounce can black beans, unstrained
1 tablespoon cinnamon
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
1 box fat-free brownie mix (I've tried a few, and my favorite is No Pudge! Original)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (or the temperature specified on the brownie mix).
2. In food processor or blender, puree black beans, including liquid, with cinnamon until smooth. (You'll see the skins of the beans, but that's OK. You won't be able to taste them.)
3. Transfer to mixing bowl, and combine with brownie mix. Stir by hand until shiny and mostly lump-free.
4. Pour batter into a greased 8-by-8 baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Brownies will be rich, moist and cake-like. When they cool, cut immediately into 16 regular-size squares or 30 bite-size squares.
Nutritional analysis per serving, based on 16: 98 calories, 1 gram fat, 21 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams protein, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 146 milligrams sodium, 2 grams dietary fiber