WARNER ROBINS -- A fire at Anchor Glass Container Corp. Friday was caused by a grease buildup that ignited in a chimney vent system.
According to a Warner Robins Fire Department release, flames were visible on the Booth Road building’s roof when city firefighters arrived on the scene. Firefighters were dispatched at 12:52 p.m.
An Anchor Glass fire brigade, trained to handle fires within the facility, was already in the process of extinguishing the fire when city firefighters arrived.
Warner Robins firefighters helped the brigade put out the fire, which was extinguished about 1:15 p.m.
Never miss a local story.
“I believe it looked a lot worse from the outside,” said Cody Shiver, a machine operator at the glass manufacturing plant, who was among those who evacuated the building.
No injuries were reported among employees or firefighters, and plant operations quickly resumed Friday afternoon, according to the release.
To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559, or find her on Twitter@becpurser.