Local

After delays, south Bibb recreation project making progress

Tubman Museum director Andy Ambrose, right, thanked those at a meeting at the Porter-Ellis Community Center in south Bibb County for previously funding the museum and offered a project funding a special projects that would build out another 3,000 square feet that would provide groups with a performing arts venue.
Tubman Museum director Andy Ambrose, right, thanked those at a meeting at the Porter-Ellis Community Center in south Bibb County for previously funding the museum and offered a project funding a special projects that would build out another 3,000 square feet that would provide groups with a performing arts venue. bcabell@macon.com

Macon-Bibb County commissioners likely will vote next month on a contract for the construction of a long-anticipated recreation center project in south Bibb County.

Commissioner Scotty Shepherd said he expects commissioners to approve an agreement in June that would clear the way for construction to start on the first phase of the Sub-South Recreation Center off Hartley Bridge Road. Shepherd, who represents the district where the recreation center will be built, said during a meeting Thursday about the special purpose local option sales tax that progress is being made on the project.

The plans for the first phase of the recreation center had to be trimmed after initial estimates were $3 million over budget. The updated plans received a bid from Warren Associates that is in-line with the $7.6 million budget, Shepherd said.

“After the Memorial (Day) holiday, we will be voting on the start of the project,” he said. “I think that once that’s done you’ll see some dirt shoveled.”

Earlier in the meeting, Macon-Bibb resident Shelvy Neal spoke about the need for the center. The meeting also included various suggestions for projects people said they’d like to see funded with the next SPLOST, which will likely be put before voters on the November ballot. The 2012 SPLOST will be in effect until March 31, 2018. If approved in November, the next penny-on-the-dollar tax would go into effect in April 2018.

“We don’t even have a ballfield out here unless a church has got one,” Neal said. “We need this recreation area built for our children.”

Upgrades to The Grand Opera House, including additional restrooms, a new air-conditioning system and renovations to a balcony, were mentioned at Thursday’s meeting that drew about 30 people to the Porter Ellis Community Center. Another suggested project was the renovation of the Shurling Library that would provide more space and larger restrooms.

Also, some more work is needed at East Macon Park, including new lighting and a multi-purpose field, upgrades to the outdoor basketball court and an irrigation system, Macon resident Jeremy Wiggins said.

“I think we need to use these 80 acres to the best ability we can,” he said.

Macon resident Bob Moore said he’d like to see money go toward a facility that would be used to raise tilapia and grow fresh produce.

“Most projects are talking about millions; we’re talking about thousands that gives an investment back into the mouths of those that are hungry,” he said.

Commissioners have created a must-do list of projects for the next SPLOST. They include landfill closure, courthouse renovations, stormwater management, recreation center projects and blight remediation. Other items on the list are roads, debt retirement, public safety and economic development. Officials have said that they’d like to have up to $240 million for the next round of projects.

Stanley Dunlap: 478-744-4623, @stan_telegraph

This story was originally published May 26, 2016 at 8:31 PM with the headline "After delays, south Bibb recreation project making progress."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER