1. Not interested in moral victories: Bobby Lamb didn't want to talk about moral victories, but he had to like the fight he saw from his Mercer team Saturday in its Southern Conference debut. Furman tied for the conference title last year, but the Paladins never could truly put away the Bears in a hard-fought contest. The Bears hit the road for the first time this season with a non-conference game against Stetson.
2. Fritz on fire: Willie Fritz got his first win as Georgia Southern's head coach, and it marked the program's first win as an FBS program, as the Eagles routed Savannah State 83-9. Things get tougher this week for the Eagles as they travel to Georgia Tech. It will be Georgia Southern's second game in three this season on the road against an ACC program.
3. Close call: Georgia State came up just short in its Sun Belt Conference opener, losing 34-31 on a late field goal by New Mexico State. The Panthers host Air Force on Saturday.
4. Division II blowout: Delta State ruined Fort Valley State's season opener with a 56-13 rout. Things don't get much easier for the Wildcats as they play at FCS program Savannah State this week.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
5. Division II rivalry: Valdosta State continued its dominance of Albany State with a 38-10 win Saturday. The Blazers are now 15-1 in the series.