1. Mercer momentum: The Bears kicked off their 2013 season with a win over Reinhardt and rode that excitement to a 10-2 campaign. The same two teams meet Thursday at Mercer University Stadium.
2. Tough opener: Georgia Southern's first game in the Sun Belt Conference is a few weeks off, so how do the Eagles open? On the road against an ACC program in N.C. State. With a first-year head coach, it should be interesting to see how the Eagles respond.
3. Early start: Georgia State gets the season going for the state's Division I teams Wednesday night with a home game against Abilene Christian. After a winless 2013, the Panthers need to get their season started with a win.
4. On the road: Savannah State hasn't had a lot of success in its program's history, especially in recent seasons. But the Tigers at least get a nice opener with a game against Middle Tennessee State.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
5. Light schedule: That's about it. The state's Division II teams don't open until next week.