1. Looking in a mirror: Georgia Tech mostly got away from its option offense last season, but the Yellow Jackets have returned the focus to the option this season. They will see a lot of it on the other side of the ball, too, as they open their season against option-based Wofford of the Southern Conference on Saturday.
2. Statement Saturday: The ACC, it seems, is always having to prove itself, and Saturday is no different. Clemson (at Georgia), Virginia (hosting UCLA) and Florida State (versus Oklahoma State in Texas) get a chance to prove the ACC can stand up to the big boys at least for one week. After a national title last year (Florida State) and a second BCS bowl win (Clemson), the conference needs to continue that momentum.
3. Opening showdown: Louisville makes its debut in the conference with a Labor Day night game against Miami. After the recent reports of infighting on the coaching staff, the Cardinals are likely ready to get after someone else.
4. Coastal contenders?: Duke won the Coastal Division last year, and North Carolina is the trendy pick this season. They both kick off with easy openers at 6 p.m. on Saturday: Duke versus Elon and North Carolina versus Liberty.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
5. Second year in: Syracuse and Pittsburgh are looking to make a bigger splash in their second season in the conference, and both should win their openers. Syracuse hosts Villanova on Friday night, and Pittsburgh hosts Delaware on Saturday.