4. Florida State
6. South Carolina
7. Notre Dame
8. Kansas State
9. West Virginia
12. Southern California
14. Ohio State
15. Oregon State
21. Michigan State
22. Boise State
23. Louisiana Tech
25. Iowa State
- My ballot ended up mirroring the top six exactly. Georgia remained at No. 5 in this week's AP poll, and the SEC has four of the top six teams.
- Oklahoma dropped like a stone, after being third in my poll last week. In retrospect, I'll admit that was too high, so we now have a market correction.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- I moved Oregon ahead of LSU based on the Ducks looking great in routing Arizona, and the Tigers needing to squeak by Auburn.
- Florida leap-frogged a few teams (Stanford, Southern Cal, Texas) that didn't lose. The Gators just look really impressive right now. The SEC East is officially a three-team race, not just Georgia and South Carolina.
- Deeper down the poll, what stands out is how weak this field is after the top 15 or so. That's the result of the early-week losses by the likes of Virginia Tech, Nebraska and Oklahoma State. Do I think those teams are inferior to Northwestern, Iowa State, Louisiana Tech or even Rutgers? Probably not. But you can't rank just based on reputation.
- Not sold on Mississippi State yet. The Bulldogs own a win over Auburn and three non-BCS conference teams.
- I almost kept Michigan in the poll because its two losses came to top 10 teams. But ultimately, the Wolverines don't have a quality win yet.
- Oregon State probably isn't the 15th-best team in the country. But wins at UCLA and over Wisconsin? Those are quality.