ATHENS - On the first official day of autumn, it's a clear and beautiful evening here in Athens. Let's play some football, shall we?
Let's get this one out of the way, we think for the final time: Alec Ogletree and Bacarri Rambo are once again not dressed out. This should be the fourth and final game of their suspensions.
Earlier in the day, there was a rumor that Rambo and Ogletree may be available for the second half. This rumor was passed along by a fan site, and frankly it should not have seen the light of day if the reporter didn't have enough to say it was even likely. But this reporter put it out there, nonetheless.
In any event, the UGA student-athlete drug policy says that the amount of games for a second drug violation is 30 percent of a season, and that it may be rounded up. So it's four full games.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
But on the injury front, Georgia did dress out star linebacker Jarvis Jones (strained groin), and offensive linemen Dallas Lee and Watts Dantzler (sprained ankles).
Lee was announced as the starter at left guard and went through drills with the first team. So he looks like a go. Dantzler and Mark Beard - who would have started in Lee's place - worked with the second team.
In the case of Jones, the expectation is he will start and play as long as the groin doesn't bother him. But at the first sign of any pain, the trainers will yank him.
On the other side, the notable event is that Jordan Rodgers appears back as the starter at quarterback. Vanderbilt went with Austyn Carta-Samuels last week, to some success, but Rodgers led Vanderbilt's comeback last year against Georgia.
A few other pregame notes:
- If Georgia wins tonight, that leaves CBS with a pretty fascinating choice on which game to pick for its 3:30 p.m. game on Oct. 6: Georgia at South Carolina, or LSU at Florida?
Georgia still has to take care of business, both tonight and next week against Tennessee. If it does, then you're looking at the most highly-anticipated regular-season game for the Bulldogs since the Alabama game in 2008. That was the last time Georgia was involved in a game that matched two teams ranked in the top 10. (Currently, Georgia is No. 5 and the Gamecocks are No. 7.)
- Georgia will be looking to start 4-0 for the first time since 2008 - when in game five, it lost that game to Alabama.
- The most recent 5-0 start, if you're all looking ahead, was in 2006.
- This will be Vanderbilt's first night game at Georgia, according to Vandy SID Larry Leathers.
- Georgia has won 16 of the past 17 meetings, and has an overall edge of 52-18-2.
- The pregame meal is a Thanksgiving theme, with turkey and pumpkin pine. Appropriately done for this first day of fall.