Crime

Macon man rescued from burning apartment; house fire ruled arson

A Macon man was unconscious on the living room floor when firefighters arrived Sunday night at his burning apartment.

Shortly after 11:15 p.m., firefighters rescued the 33-year-old from the flames inside Apartment C at 145 Pierce Ave., said Sgt. Ben Gleaton, an investigator for the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department.

“The smoke alarm was going off, but he was unresponsive,” Gleaton said.

Crews administered CPR to the man, who was sent to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta with smoke inhalation and burns to his upper extremities, Gleaton said.

The victim apparently was cooking something in a pot on the stove that caught fire and damaged the kitchen in the unit behind Vineville Baptist Church, he said.

The man’s name was not immediately released.

Just before 4 p.m. Sunday, firefighters were called to 4056 Kemper Ave. where a fire was burning inside the attic of an empty house.

“It apparently had been vacant for some time,” Gleaton said.

Moderate damage occurred in the attic from the fire, which Gleaton determined was deliberately set.

Anyone with information about the arson is asked to call Georgia’s Arson Hotline at 800-282-5084 or Macon Regional Crimestoppers at 877-68-CRIME.

  Comments