4-year-old apparently strangled by window blind cords

A father said he went to wake his 4-year-old girl up for church Sunday but instead found her strangled in the cords of a window blind, the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office said.

The cord from the blind was wrapped around her neck, a tragedy federal officials have said happens about once a month in America.

Bibb County sheriff’s Lt. Sean DeFoe said he couldn’t release many details from the case because family members were still being notified Sunday evening. The GBI’s Macon crime lab will do an autopsy Monday, standard procedure in the wake of an unattended death, DeFoe said.

The girl was found around 9 a.m. Sunday in her home on Ivy Brook Way. Her family said she’d gone to bed around 9 p.m. Saturday.

Coroner Leon Jones said in a statement that the family and child names would not be released until the family is told about the death.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission said parents should look for exposed cords on the front, back and sides of all blinds and shades. Cordless window coverings should be used in homes with young children. People who can’t afford new cordless window coverings can call the Window Covering Safety Council at 800-506-4636 or visit for a repair kit to make their existing products safer.

To contact writer Mike Stucka, call 744-4251.