2015 trial likely in Zodiac Lounge killing case

Of the eight people indicted in connection with events at downtown Macon’s Zodiac Lounge last year that included the beating and shooting of one man and the shooting death of a 17-year-old, five remain in jail.

It’s likely a trial will be held early next year.

Video surveillance at the nightclub, located at the Riverview Event Center near Walnut Street and Broadway, captured images of a group of alleged members of Macon’s Mafia gang beating then-21-year-old Deion Davis before he was shot eight times on July 5, 2013.

Davis survived the shooting.

Jamonni Bland, 17, died after being shot five times at close range outside the club.

Andre Maurice Bonner, the man accused of shooting Bland, and John Michael Hollingshed, the man accused of shooting Davis, are among the five suspects who remain in jail. Bonner, 32, has a $170,900 bond while Hollingshed, 29, doesn’t have a bond.

Bonner, Hollingshed and Miranda Victoria Pettiway, their alleged getaway driver, are the only three suspects indicted on a murder charge. The others were arrested on charges stemming from the beating or gang offenses.

Johnifer D. Barnwell, 28, was released on bond in January, but he was rearrested in West Virginia on June 25, charged with “possession with intent to deliver narcotics,” according to a motion filed to revoke his bond.

He’s been back at the Bibb County jail since August, according to jail records.

Last week, a judge denied a request to reinstate a bond despite his attorney’s argument that Barnwell didn’t know he wasn’t allowed to leave the jurisdiction.

Barnwell’s lawyer, Brek Barker, said his client went to visit his child in West Virginia.

“He told his bondsman he was going, and the bondsman apparently gave him approval. Apparently he was not aware he wasn’t supposed to go,” Barker said. “It wasn’t anything intentional.”

Jimmy Lee Scott III, 31, also remains in jail without bond.

Another of the Zodiac defendants, 32-year-old Kiyo Johnson, asked for a bond reduction Thursday.

“My client, it is undisputed, had absolutely no role in the shooting itself or any of the planning leading up to it,” attorney Alan Wheeler said.

Wheeler admitted that Johnson was captured on video participating in an altercation inside the club.

He said he’s reviewing 3,500 pages of case documents.

So far, the case hasn’t seemed to be going anywhere, he said.

Johnson had a job at the time she was arrested, but “it’s almost impossible at this point that she’d be able to get that back,” Wheeler said.

Wheeler said Johnson hopes to get a holiday job if she’s released.

He asked a judge to reduce her bond from $30,000 to $15,000. The judge granted a $20,000 bond.

Johnson remained in jail late Thursday afternoon.

Information from Telegraph archives was used in this report. To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.