Crime

Man accused in Macon S&S robbery attempt denied bond reduction

Although the man who shot an S&S Cafeteria manager last year has not been arrested, surveillance footage from the Riverside Drive eatery shows a second man firing shots at the injured manager as he tried to run away.

Marcus Lesha Huff, 22, has been jailed since Oct. 3, 2013, charged with criminal attempt to commit a felony, burglary, aggravated assault and kidnapping.

His lawyer, Bobby Bearden, argued that Huff’s bond should be reduced from $55,200 to $25,000 or less.

Bearden said Huff admits going to S&S and asking a woman if she wanted a ride on Sept. 20, 2013. When the woman refused, he went to a nearby store and then went to the Pio Nono Avenue and Anthony Road area where he lives.

“He was across town when all this occurred. ... He denies he was involved in the robbery,” Bearden said. “The case against him is a very weak case.”

Bearden also expressed concerns about the uncertainty of when Huff’s case could go to trial.

Surveillance footage shows two men in the restaurant at closing time demanding money from assistant manager Van Eason. One of the men then struck Eason with the butt of a gun. The gun went off, striking Eason at the base of his neck. The bullet ricocheted through his body, puncturing a lung and his liver, breaking a rib and scarring his heart.

Prosecutor Jimmy Daniels said footage also shows a man fitting Huff’s description firing shots at Eason as Eason tried to get away.

Daniels argued against a bond reduction, citing concerns about Huff intimidating witnesses and his prior arrests.

Huff was charged with armed robbery in 2009, criminal damage to property and battery in 2010 and burglary in 2011, he said.

“We think he is an incredible, significant risk to the community,” Daniels said.

The judge denied Bearden’s request for a bond reduction but said he’d give the request a serious second look if it is brought before him again after the December trial term.

A then-S&S employee, 20-year-old Lamisha Montasia Smith, and 19-year-old Dwight Pernel Rainey, were indicted earlier this year with Huff on charges of criminal attempt to commit a felony, burglary, aggravated assault and kidnapping.

Police have described Smith as the “orchestrator” of the robbery. Huff was her boyfriend, and Rainey was Huff’s friend. Smith is being held on a $38,700 bond. Rainey was released last year on an $18,000 bond.

The identity of a third man, the one whose bullet struck Eason, is still unknown.

Anyone with information about the man’s identity can tell police anonymously by calling Macon Regional Crimestoppers at 877-68-CRIME or Bibb County Sheriff’s deputies at 478-751-7500.

Information from Telegraph archives was used in this report. To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.

  Comments