The Sun News

Church histories tell the history of Warner Robins

Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s first building was dedicated in 1945.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s first building was dedicated in 1945. Special to The Sun News

The Warner Robins Heritage Society held its quarterly Speaker Series recently at the Nola Brantley Library. Several speakers talked about churches in Warner Robins. At least three churches in the area have produced a history book.

Central Baptist Church had “Joy in the Journey” written in honor of the church’s 50th anniversary in 2005. Central Baptist, which first met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Willard in November 1955, has had several locations during its 60-year history — most recently a move to Lake Joy Road. In between the congregation met at City Hall, Warner Robins High School and its location on Watson Boulevard.

“First” is the story of First United Methodist Church and was published in 2015. Methodist churches had been started in the area before but had not survived due to lack of people in what was then Wellston. When construction of the base started in the summer of 1941, Methodists held a revival meeting with plans to plant a church in August 1941. First Methodist was the first church in town to sponsor Boy Scouts, offer preschool and to have a pipe organ and a church bus. Northview Methodist, Trinity, Christ, and Andrew are all have ties to First Methodist.

First Methodist will be celebrating its 75th anniversary in August and has plans for a special service and dinner Aug. 28. More information about this special service and the history of First United Methodist Church will be published in The Telegraph later this summer.

Sacred Heart Catholic Church’s book, “A Testimony of Faith,” not only gives the church’s history but also includes descriptions and pictures of the church building and highlights the church’s stained glass windows. Sacred Heart’s first church building was dedicated in 1945 and held 150 people — the church’s new building was dedicated in 2007 and holds 1,000. A school was added in 1955.

Prior to having its own building, Sacred Heart’s congregation met at the USO Hall where the altar was built using Coke crates and boards.

Included in the presentation about Sacred Heart was a letter dated from 1950 where C. Boss Watson, the first mayor of Warner Robins, had quit-claimed land to the church.

The Heritage Society’s next Speaker Series meeting will be interactive — a driving tour of Warner Robins’ historic graveyards and cemeteries 1-4 p.m. Oct. 29. For more information about the cemetery driving tour or the Warner Robins Heritage Society, contact Art Howard at 396-1549.

Alline Kent can be contacted at allinekent@cox.net or 396-2467.

  Comments