For the past decade or so, my family and I have driven around town looking at Christmas lights -- which is one of our favorite parts of Christmas -- and selected the Top 10 Christmas Lights displays in Houston County.
There is no criteria or standard, just whatever we happened to like the best that year.
We are big fans of the gaudy, over-the-top displays as well as the smaller, simpler displays. I think if you take the time to decorate the outside of your house -- which is really for the pleasure of others, not for yourself, unless you sit outside all evening -- you are a winner in my book. I am sure there are lots of great lights that I miss, but this is just a starting point for that fun ride around town with your family.
Thanks to all the people -- many of them neighbors -- who called in suggestions.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
If you are riding around, let me also suggest a trip by Westminster Presbyterian Church, which has an incredible manger out front -- a real reason-for-the season display.
THIS YEAR’S RECOMMENDATIONS
10. 222 Tucker Road: A lot of lights and a lot of love went into this display.
9. 106 Etowah Drive: A primarily red and white display, the lights from the front yard extend to the sides and the backyard. All you have to do is follow the star.
8. 402, 403 and 404 Thomas Chase Court: These homes on a cul de sac in Southfield Plantation have it all, and have it all BIG. Lots of lights at all three homes. Think of some part of a house or a yard, and one of these homes has lights draped over it.
7. 210 Brookwood Drive: Santa doesn’t need his sleigh in this yard, which, along with snow on the roof, has a hot-air balloon, a train and an airplane. There’s a merry-go-round and skiing with a stable for the reindeer.
6. 161 Old Perry Road: Lights draped on the fence that surrounds the property lead you to a beautiful manger with an angel.
5. 301 Laverne Drive: Lights. Lots of them. Set to music. All you have to do is tune in on your car radio and enjoy.
4. 108 Bull Run: The ultimate Gingerbread House. It is covered in lights and good enough to eat.
3. 207 Plantation Drive: An old-timey Santa and a handmade elf center this display that is full of natural touches such as holly and cedar.
2. 106 Rachael Lane: Great lights that include trees and wreaths and Santa on the front porch. Firefly lights are part of the display as well, or maybe it would be more accurate to say lightning-bug lights.
1. 501 Kimberly Road: Plenty of lights and animated objects, but the highlight here is Santa Claus himself, outside every evening for pictures and any additions to his list. The family that lives here welcomes people to stop and visit with Santa. Because Kimberly is a busy road, the family suggests parking on Todd Circle. which runs right by the home.
Alline Kent can be contacted at email@example.com or 396-2467.