The recent attacks on movie theaters around the country have not worried theatergoers in Macon.
Derek Gillespie, who was headed to see the movie “Vacation” at Amstar 16 on Zebulon Road, said he had not anxiety or trepidations about frequenting movie theaters.
“Not in this area,” he said. “Depends on the area you’re in, I guess, and this area seems fine.”
On Aug. 5, a 29-year-old man attacked besieged a movie theater -- and a screening of “Mad Max” -- in Nashville, Tennessee, armed with a hatchet, a pellet gun and some pepper spray.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
The attacker injured one man with the hatchet and two others were blasted with pepper spray before the man was shot and killed by police.
Another incident at a movie theater in Lafayette, Louisiana, involved a 58-year-old gunman who killed two people and himself last month.
On Saturday, James Holmes was sentenced to life in prison after killing 12 people and wounding 70 others during a shooting rampage at an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater in July 2012.
Three movie theater managers in Macon and Warner Robins were unable to comment on these events or any additional security measures be taken by these establishments in the wake of the national violence against movie theaters.
There were rules about minors and carrying bags stated on some of the managers’ voice mailboxes.
The rules included mandating that all children and young adults under the age of 17 must be accompanied by and seated with an adult aged 25 years old or older.
Also, many places do not allow backpacks, bookbags or large bags to be carried into the theater.
Conner Wood contributed to this report. To contact writer David Schick, call 744-4382 or find him on Twitter@davidcschick.