Local

Elderly Dodge County man dies after house fire in Plainfield

An 88-year-old Dodge County man died early Saturday after being pulled from his burning home the morning before.

Washington Battle was unconscious when he was found lying on his bed at about 10:30 a.m. Friday, said Dodge County Coroner Joe Smith.

A neighbor reported the fire at 75 Welcome Friend Church Road, which apparently started in the kitchen.

Smith believes Battle got up and started cooking something and laid back down in the bedroom and fell asleep.

“The fire was pretty much on one side (of the house) and he was on the other,” Smith said. “The house, I think it was a total loss.”

Although Battle had no visible burns, he suffered smoke inhalation.

He was rushed to Dodge County Hospital and airlifted to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta where he died at about 2 a.m. Saturday.

“He was a likeable fella. Everybody in Plainfield knows him,” Smith said.

Battle lived alone after his wife died a couple of years ago.

The Georgia Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the blaze.

  Comments