The A.L. Miller High School and junior high campus is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The school campus, located on Montpelier Avenue in Macon, was built in two eras between 1929-1930 and 1949-1950 to accommodate growing enrollment and changing educational needs. It served a female student population, as Macon high schools were single-sex from 1926 until integration in 1970.
The property includes three buildings: a 1930 high school, a 1930 gymnasium, and a 1950 junior high school with an attached administration and library building.
The high school was designed by Macon architects Claude W. Shelverton and William F. Oliphant, who also designed a number of Macon residences, churches and schools, including buildings at Wesleyan College, according to a statement from the National Register. The high school exhibits Collegiate Gothic and Jacobean Revival-style influences.
The school retains features including a grand, central, three-sided stair that leads to a recessed, segmental-arched entry.
The Macon architectural firm of MacEwen, Hall and Ferguson designed the International Style junior high school. The sprawling, two-story building retains much of its historic integrity, including an unaltered floor plan with classrooms of various sizes.
In May, the Macon-Bibb County Planning and Zoning Commission approved a conditional-use permit to allow a multi-family development with 62 apartments as well as the construction of nine single-family dwellings on the 11.27-acre tract.
Louisville, Kentucky-based Oracle Consulting Services LLC plans to convert the former school buildings into apartments. The single-family homes would be built on the western section of the site abutting Birch Street.
Amenities would include a playground and a gazebo.
The proposal includes the demolition of the former gymnasium. That area would become green space.
The National Register of Historic Places is the country’s official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects and districts worthy of preservation.
It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes and ensures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects.