Local

Space heater possible cause of Baldwin County fire

A Baldwin County fire official is reminding folks to stay safe when using space heaters after a fire Tuesday night.

A space heater may be behind the fire that destroyed a double-wide manufactured home near Milledgeville, Baldwin County fire Battalion Chief Victor Young said.

Firefighters dispatched to the 8:04 p.m. fire at 127 Old Stage Drive reported flames shooting out of every window of the home. A man who rents the home was able to get out unharmed when the fire started and called 911, Young said.

Firefighters got the blaze under control in about 25 minutes and cleared the scene at 11:14 p.m., he said. The fire remains under investigation, he said.

Young warned residents to remember to keep space between a space heater and clothing, bedding and window coverings. He said contact between a space heater and such flammable material can ignite a fire that can spread rapidly.

“Space heaters need space,” he said.

Stationary and portable space heaters accounted for 33 percent of U.S. home heating fires reported from 2007-2011, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Space heaters and wood stoves also accounted for 81 percent of associated deaths, 70 percent of associated injuries and 51 percent of associated direct property damage.

To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.

  Comments