A dog and a bird died of smoke inhalation as a result of a Monday night fire at an apartment in the 3700 block of Houston Avenue, according to Macon police.
A young child accidentally started the fire using a lighter about 11:10 p.m. Four apartments were damaged by water, according to a police report.
The dog and bird were in two apartments adjacent to the apartment where the fire started, according to the report.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.