Former Central High football coach drops lawsuit against school system

A former Central High School football coach has dropped a lawsuit alleging the Bibb County school system breached his employment contract.

Anthony Hines filed the lawsuit in November 2011, three months after he resigned amid an investigation into an alleged heat policy violation during a football camp in Alabama attended by Central players.

Hines contended that he rescinded his letter of resignation about two weeks later, before the school system acted on it, but the school system argued the resignation was accepted on the day he turned it in, according to court documents.

Shaun Daugherty, an Atlanta lawyer representing the school system, said he received notice of the lawsuit being dismissed on Friday.

A hearing had been scheduled for Tuesday. At that hearing, Daugherty had planned to present arguments to support a motion for the judge to grant summary judgment, dismissing the lawsuit.

Along with the motion, filed in Bibb County Superior Court in June, Daugherty filed a copy of Hines’ resignation letter dated Aug. 22, 2011. Hines listed his reason for leaving as “personal.”

A letter written by Myra Abrams, the school system’s human resources director, also is included in the court record. In the letter, Abrams acknowledged Hines’ resignation and granted approval for his “release as an employee” effective Sept. 30, 2011.

Daugherty said there was no settlement in the case.

Hines will not be on the school system’s payroll, he said.

Daugherty declined further comment.

Attempts to reach Hines and his lawyer were unsuccessful Monday.

Hines told The Telegraph last year that a mix-up in paperwork kept him from noticing that a player had failed a physical examination because of asthma.

Without medical clearance for practice, the player wasn’t eligible to participate in football.

Hines allowed the player to travel to the Alabama football camp in July 2011 where the player became sick. After returning to Macon, the player’s family took him to a hospital where he was diagnosed with heat exhaustion.

Information from The Telegraph archives was used in this report. To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398