The Air Force plans to cut 2,000 full-time jobs and 4,000 temporary and part-time jobs as a part of its force-reduction initiative announced last week, according to a top official.
In comments to the Air Force Times posted online Wednesday, Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, director of manpower, organization and resources, said the current 2012 spending bill calls for the Air Force to cut its civilian employees from 189,000 to 182,199. Robins employs about 15,000 civilians.
The cuts for full-time employees are expected to be accomplished through voluntary buyout packages. To achieve the other cuts, 2,000 temporary jobs and 2,000 summer positions will be eliminated.
The Air Force announced the force-reduction initiative Friday along with a 90-day hiring freeze. How it might impact Robins Air Force Base remains unclear. A base spokesman said Robins has not been authorized to talk about the initiatives locally.
$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access
Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!
#ReadLocal
The freeze became effective Aug. 9. Over the past year, the largest portion of hiring at Robins has been aircraft mechanics, and those positions have been exempted from previous hiring restrictions.
The base probably won’t have much trouble filling whatever allotted buyouts it may get. In a survey earlier this year, 2,000 Robins employees said they would be interested in a buyout offer.
Mary Therese Tebbe, executive director of the base-boosting 21st Century Partnership, said force reduction moves are understandable given the budget environment.
“It’s a difficult position to be put in when you are looking at having to meet the mandates and operating budgets that are there,” she said. “I’m not saying I agree with it, and I’m not saying it’s right, but we have to realize they are like any business trying to make ends meet.”
To contact writer Wayne Crenshaw, call 256-9725.
Comments