WARNER ROBINS -- A Warner Robins councilman will not be suspended from his post because of a felony indictment, according to a state panel’s recommendation released this week.
“I am elated,” said Councilman John Williams, of the decision. “I had full confidence that that’s what it was going to be, but you just never know.”
The three-person panel was appointed by Gov. Nathan Deal to review whether a felony indictment leveled against Williams had any bearing on his public position.
“It was pretty clear,” said Beth English, a Vienna councilwoman who served on the panel.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Telegraph
English added that the criteria that would merit a suspension was quite clear, “and we made a decision that way.”
She declined to comment specifically.
The panel -- which included English, Attorney General Sam Olens and Macon City Councilman Rick Hutto -- met with Williams for about 10 minutes Thursday. They deliberated for about another 10 minutes before issuing a recommendation to the governor on the same day.
Because the panel recommended no suspension, Deal “has no say on the matter,” said governor’s spokesperson Stephanie Mayfield in an e-mail Tuesday.
Williams is set to appear in court next week on the felony charge of making false statements and writings. Williams is alleged to have falsely reported a city issued cell phone stolen last year.
To contact writer Christina M. Wright, call 256-9685.