Suspect in Perry bank robbery was in jail hours before crime

The man accused of Tuesday’s robbery of the CB&T Bank on Main Street in Perry was released from jail two hours earlier, according to police and jail records.

Officers acting on a tip used Houston County K-9 units to catch 24-year-old Charles Dylan Hale near his sister’s home on Todd Road in Perry about 10 p.m. Tuesday, said Capt. Bill Phelps of the Perry Police Department.

“We were able to retrieve a large sum of money from him so we are sure we got most of the money from the bank,” Phelps said.

Helicopters from the Georgia State Patrol helped in the manhunt that included Perry police officers and Houston County sheriff’s deputies.

“We were ready for almost anything,” Phelps said.

Hale is accused of handing a note demanding money to the teller before running away, then hopping on a bicycle he had stashed nearby and pedaling down Courtney Hodges Boulevard toward Big Indian Creek, said Capt. Heath Dykes of the Perry Police Department. He then abandoned the bicycle and fled on foot into the woods, Dykes said.

Hale was found hiding in some cedar bushes outside an abandoned mobile home next door to his sister’s residence as police swarmed her home, Dykes said.

Dykes said the only thing Hale said when he was arrested was, “I knew you all were coming.”

Cash stolen from the bank was found in Hale’s wallet and pockets, Dykes said. Hale also had a small plastic bag of marijuana on him, Dykes said.

Hale was charged with robbery, a felony, and simple possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor, Dykes said.

Hale was being held Wednesday at the Houston County jail in Perry, having just been released from the same jail at 11:02 a.m., according to jail records. He’s accused of robbing the bank in Perry about 1 p.m.

Hale was released after serving a 60-day sentence for simple battery and giving false information to a Perry police officer, both misdemeanors, according to jail and State Court records. The simple battery conviction came from an incident in June in which Hale and a girlfriend got into a drunken argument and Hale grabbed her around the neck, Dykes said.

Hale also was released from the jail and placed back on parole per the Georgia State Board of Pardons and Paroles after serving the sentence for the misdemeanors, said spokesman Steve Hayes. A violation of probation charge had been placed against Hale after he was initially charged with the misdemeanors and technical parole violations, Hayes said. Citing confidentiality, Hayes declined to name the technical violations.

Hale was paroled April 30, 2010, according to the Georgia Department of Corrections website.

Hale had been in prison for a 2009 conviction for terroristic threats and acts in Houston County and a 2005 burglary in Houston County, according to the state DOC website and the Houston County District Attorney’s Office website.

A determination has not yet been made on whether Hale will be prosecuted by Houston County authorities or the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Macon, since robbing a bank is also a federal crime, Dykes said.

“The main thing,” Dykes said of the pending decision, “is where he’s going to get the most time.”

To contact writer Becky Purser, call 256-9559.