Macon Telegraph Logo

Byron man: Census worker killed dog | The Telegraph

×
  • E-edition
  • Home
    • Customer Service
    • Mobile & Apps
    • Newsletters
    • Buy Photos and Pages
    • Contact Us
    • Newsletters
    • Subscribe
    • Archive Search

    • All News
    • Local
    • Houston & Peach
    • The Sun News
    • Crime
    • Food Story
    • Education
    • Databases
    • Business
    • Nation/World
    • Opinion
    • Weird News
    • All Sports
    • High Schools
    • University of Georgia
    • Bulldogs Beat
    • Georgia Tech
    • Mercer
    • Columns & Blogs
    • MLB & Braves
    • NFL & Falcons
    • NBA & Hawks
    • Auto Racing
    • Golf
    • NHL/Macon Mayhem
    • Politics
    • Elections
    • All Living
    • Family
    • Food
    • Home & Garden
    • Religion
    • Celebrations
    • Mark Ballard
    • Dear Abby
    • Entertainment
    • Out & About
    • Celebrities
    • Music
    • Restaurants
    • Comics
    • Puzzles & Games
    • Horoscopes
    • Opinion
    • Editorials
    • Editorial Cartoons
    • Letters to the Editor
    • Submit a Letter
    • Blogs & Columns
    • Opinion Columns & Blogs
    • Your Say
  • Obituaries
  • Education Together
  • Best of the Best

  • Classifieds
  • Jobs
  • Moonlighting
  • Cars
  • Homes
  • Place An Ad
  • Contests

  • About Us
  • Mobile & Apps

News

Byron man: Census worker killed dog

By MARLON A. WALKER - mawalker@macon.com

    ORDER REPRINT →

May 05, 2010 12:00 AM

BYRON — Charles Oliver does not understand why it is such a big deal that he had not returned census forms sent to his home this year. But when a worker from the U.S. Census Bureau turned up about 10 a.m. Tuesday to get the information, Oliver said, he obliged.

First name: Charles.

Last name: Oliver.

Date of birth: May 7, 1957.

SIGN UP

$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access

Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

#ReadLocal

As he answered questions, his eyes turned toward the long driveway leading up to his home. In it lay his 2-year-old Chihuahua, Sofie, surrounded by blood.

His census omission had cost him more than he had ever imagined.

“They know I’m here,” he said, wiping his eyes, then pointing toward Sofie, still in the driveway two hours later. “Why do they even need a census? Let me not pay my taxes. They’ll be here.

“They’ll find me.”

Oliver said the census worker, whom he described as an older, heavyset white male with medium length gray hair driving a newer model sport utility vehicle with a Vietnam Veteran tag, didn’t apologize after both men spotted Sofie. He simply left after being told to, incomplete census forms in tow.

Sofie was the only of Charles Oliver’s eight dogs he and his wife had purchased. The rest had been dropped off on his property. He let the rest roam around the family’s home, built several hundred yards away from the street. Sofie was kept inside.

She was in the yard, Oliver said, because he was outside cleaning up a spill in the garage. That’s what he was doing when the census worker showed up.

Census workers get a bad rap — much like bill collectors and door-to-door salesmen — for showing up to homes unannounced, just doing their jobs. They’re making sure to count anyone missing when census forms are tabulated, much to a jurisdiction’s delight but the ire of residents.

And they’ve had their shares of misfortune along the way.

In the last week, census officials report that six workers have been killed in traffic accidents while out working on what the bureau calls non-response follow-ups, when workers go to homes where no census form has been returned. During the 2000 Census, 13 workers died during the non-response follow-ups, including one who was mauled to death by a dog.

Ed Davis, spokesman for the U.S. Census bureau’s Atlanta office, said an incident involving a worker running over a dog had not been reported to either the regional or local offices. Safety is pushed heavily to the more than 635,000 census workers, he said.

“We take very seriously the public safety and personal safety of our workers,” Davis said. “Unfortunately, things happen when we have hundreds of thousands of people in the field.”

Oliver said after the man left, he called his wife, away on business in Seattle. She didn’t take the news well, either.

Then he tried to dig a hole for a burial. A bad back wouldn’t allow it, so he said he would wait for his son-in-law to help him finish.

Peach County Sheriff’s Office officials who came to the scene took information for a miscellaneous incident report. No charges are expected to be filed against the unknown census worker.

Efforts to reach local census officials were unsuccessful Tuesday.

Oliver is not mad at the census worker, he said. He just doesn’t understand why the man was at his home in the first place.

“I feel sorry for (the census worker). He’s doing what he thought was right,” Oliver said. “But (the government has gotten) too much information on me here all year. Why don’t they find the ones that ain’t paying taxes?”

To contact writer Marlon A. Walker, call 256-9685.

  Comments  

Videos

Elaine Lucas: a football mother’s perspective on a dangerous game

Here’s what Beverly Knight Olson wants you to know about her

View More Video

Trending Stories

Bulldogs moving on, but still feel deserving of playoff spot after Twitter storm

December 30, 2018 02:01 PM

One of Macon’s biggest philanthropists has been blessing people for decades

December 29, 2018 12:00 AM

An ultimate compliment: Texas QB hopes to see his team model Georgia in two ways

December 29, 2018 06:50 PM

Here’s how to get a free ride home on New Year’s Eve in Bibb

December 30, 2018 02:29 PM

Bulldogs ready to have teammate Stetson Bennett back in the fold

December 30, 2018 03:19 PM

Read Next

Elizabeth Warren takes big move toward 2020 presidential run

Business

Elizabeth Warren takes big move toward 2020 presidential run

By ELANA SCHOR Associated Press

    ORDER REPRINT →

December 31, 2018 08:36 AM

Sen. Elizabeth Warren is taking the first major step toward running for president.

KEEP READING

$20 for 365 Days of Unlimited Digital Access

#ReadLocal

Last chance to take advantage of our best offer of the year! Act now!

SUBSCRIBE NOW

MORE NEWS

Shockers: Richt retires, Diaz takes over at Miami

Nation & World

Shockers: Richt retires, Diaz takes over at Miami

December 31, 2018 12:32 AM
World stocks rise on last day of turbulent year

Business

World stocks rise on last day of turbulent year

December 31, 2018 08:55 AM
As Congo counts votes in presidential poll, internet is cut

News

As Congo counts votes in presidential poll, internet is cut

December 31, 2018 08:48 AM

Celebrities

Des Moines moviegoers say goodbye to single-screen theater

December 31, 2018 08:46 AM

Business

Michael Kors, now Capri Holdings, completes Versace deal

December 31, 2018 08:34 AM
Revelers say hello to 2019, goodbye to an unsettling year

Nation & World

Revelers say hello to 2019, goodbye to an unsettling year

December 31, 2018 08:28 AM
Take Us With You

Real-time updates and all local stories you want right in the palm of your hand.

Icon for mobile apps

The Telegraph App

View Newsletters

Subscriptions
  • Start a Subscription
  • Customer Service
  • eEdition
  • Vacation Hold
  • Pay Your Bill
  • Rewards
Learn More
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Newsletters
  • News in Education
  • Archives
Advertising
  • Place a Classified Ad
  • Advertise with Us
  • Local Deals
Copyright
Privacy Policy
Terms of Service


Back to Story