News

Bibb bus catches fire while taking children to school

More than a dozen Bibb County elementary school students took a wild ride to school Wednesday morning.

A bus caught fire while carrying 14 elementary students to Vineville Academy shortly before 8:30 a.m.

A motorist called 911 to alert authorities that flames were coming out of the back of the bus as it was driving down Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near Ash Street.

Students say they saw the smoke and the driver stopped at Alexander II Magnet School at the corner of College and Oglethorpe streets. Macon-Bibb firefighters helped get the children safely off the bus. Alexander II personnel took them to the cafeteria for a light breakfast to distract them from the ordeal.

The flames that were coming from the right rear tire area were put out with a fire extinguisher and the area was sprayed down with a hose from a fire truck in the parking lot of the school.

An unidentified transportation worker said it appears a brake caliper locked up and caused the fire.

The students were loaded on another bus and taken to Vineville Academy shortly before 8:45 a.m.

  Comments