News

Bibb bus catches on fire going to school | Photos, video

A Bibb County school bus caught fire carrying 14 elementary students to Vineville Academy this morning shortly before 8:30 a.m.

A motorist called 911 to alert authorities that flames were coming out of the back of the bus as it was driving down Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard near Ash Street.

Students say they saw smoke as the driver stopped at Alexander II Magnet School where the children got off the bus and were taken to the cafeteria for a light breakfast to distract them from the ordeal.

The flames that were coming from the right rear tire area were put out with a fire extinguisher and sprayed down with a hose from a Macon-Bibb County fire truck in the parking lot of the school at the corner of College and Oglethorpe streets.

An unidentified transportation worker said it appears a brake caliper locked up and caused the fire.

The students were loaded on another bus and taken to Vineville Academy shortly before 8:45 a.m.

  Comments