Man convicted in fatal boating accident dies on medical reprieve

A man sentenced to serve 16 years in prison in connection with a fatal 2006 boat accident on Lake Sinclair died Tuesday after being granted a medical reprieve from the state Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Mark Entrekin, 53, was granted a three-month medical reprieve effective Feb. 5, said Kim Patton-Johnson, a Pardons and Paroles spokeswoman.

The Board was scheduled to revisit his case prior to May 5 to determine whether to extend the reprieve, she said.

Patton-Johnson said she couldn’t release information about why Entrekin was granted a reprieve, but said inmates in his situation typically are terminally ill or physically incapacitated.

In general, a prison physician typically initiates a request for medical reprieve, she said.

The request passes through staff at the Georgia Department of Corrections before being presented to the Board of Pardons and Paroles.

“The board’s first priority when looking at a case is public safety,” Patton-Johnson said. An inmate’s medical condition also is considered. If granted a medical reprieve, an inmate must live with a person deemed “suitable” by the Board. The inmate is subject to monitoring by a parole officer during the reprieve, she said.

A jury convicted Entrekin of homicide by vessel by reckless operation and failure to render aid in March 2007.

Entrekin’s runabout boat crashed into 48-year-old Mark Baxter’s pontoon boat about 10:30 p.m. July 1, 2006, on Lake Sinclair. Baxter, of Eatonton, died instantly when Entrekin’s boat drove over the pontoon boat. Baxter’s wife, Sandra, suffered severe injuries and was thrown from the boat. The Baxters’ daughter, Laura Johnson, suffered minor scratches.

Funeral services for Entrekin will be held Friday at Snow’s Memorial Chapel on Pio Nono Avenue in Macon with burial in Glen Haven Memorial Gardens.

Information from The Telegraph’s archives was inculded in this report.

To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.