Plea deal gets man to testify in Macon slaying

A 21-year-old man pleaded guilty Monday in connection with the fatal 2007 shooting of a 17-year-old youth.

Raymon Thompson, of a Napier Avenue address, was sentenced to five years in prison after he pleaded guilty to making false statements to police officers who were investigating the killing of Antwan Brown.

When police initially interviewed him, Thompson denied being at the scene when Brown was killed. Later, he told officers he was in the car with another man who shot Brown, prosecutor Dorothy Hull said.

Thompson’s lawyer, Bobby Bearden, said Thompson didn’t know the shooting was going to happen.

Brown, of Anthony Circle, was shot multiple times Aug. 6, 2007, on Feb Avenue, about a block away from Central High School off Holt Avenue. He suffered several gunshot wounds and died later at The Medical Center of Central Georgia.

Thompson entered his plea in Bibb County Superior Court in exchange for his promise to testify in the upcoming trials of two other men charged in Brown’s death.

If he testifies truthfully at trial, Thompson may ask a judge to reduce his sentence, Hull said. In addition to the prison sentence for the false statements charge, the judge revoked Thompson’s probation on a charge of theft by receiving stolen property.

Gerald McIntosh, 22, of Atlanta, was arrested Aug. 10, 2007, on a murder charge. He was released on a $100,000 bond Nov. 19, 2007, with the understanding that he is banned from Bibb County except for court appearances, according to Bibb County jail records.

Nickolas Reynolds, 28, also charged with murder, is being held at the Bibb County jail on a bond of $77,200, according to jail records.

After entering his plea, Thompson testified that he, McIntosh and Reynolds were present at a fistfight a few days before Brown was shot. The fight stemmed from allegations that Brown had stolen a car.

At one point, McIntosh pulled out a gun, but Reynolds told him to put it away. McIntosh put the gun on the back seat of a car near where they were standing. Brown’s cousin took the gun, struck Reynolds with the gun and then left with the gun, he testified.

Thompson said McIntosh and Reynolds were angry.

On Aug. 6, 2007, Thompson was driving McIntosh’s car with McIntosh and Reynolds as passengers. McIntosh said he wanted to go to the Holt Avenue area to confront Brown or his cousin about taking his gun, Thompson testified.

The men saw Brown walking down the road talking on the phone, McIntosh and Reynolds told Thompson to stop the car and with the car stopped, McIntosh fired several shots at Brown, Thompson said.

He said he isn’t sure how many shots McIntosh fired.

“It was several shots,” Thompson said. No one else fired.

The men went to Reynold’s sister’s home after the shooting. McIntosh changed his clothes, and they went to a sports bar. After leaving the bar, McIntosh and Reynolds took Thompson home, he said.

Information from The Telegraph’s archive was used in this report.

To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.