An Eastman woman died Sunday, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator running indoors.
According to a news release from the Dodge County Sheriff’s Office, at about 7:15 a.m. paramedics and sheriff’s deputies responded to an emergency call from a residence on Ga. 87 south of Eastman. There they found one person dead and another sick.
The deceased person was Teresa Simpson, 32, of Eastman. Romelus Hayes, 31, of Eastman was taken to the Dodge County Hospital for treatment.
Apparently, the couple had been living at the home without electricity and had been using a generator to provide power, according to the release. The couple apparently moved the generator indoors due to rain and fell asleep sometime Saturday with the generator running inside. Simpson’s body was sent to the state crime lab for an autopsy.