AP bureau chief, former Telegraph managing editor McQueen dies at 52

NEW ORLEANS — Mike McQueen, chief of bureau for The Associated Press in Louisiana and Mississippi and a former Telegraph managing editor has died. He was 52.

McQueen, who had been on medical leave from AP since the spring, died Sunday from complications of cancer and congestive heart failure.

McQueen’s journalism career spanned three decades, including two stints with the AP and work on two Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper teams.

“Mike’s passion for stories and his love for fellow journalists could light up a room. He was a creative and caring editor and newsroom mentor. We are heartbroken about his passing,” said Kathleen Carroll, the AP’s executive editor.

“Mike was a terrific editor and journalist and a respected partner and newsroom leader who made this newspaper better during his tenure,” said Sherrie Marshall, executive editor of The Telegraph. “Our hearts go out to his family.”

In 2006, McQueen returned to the AP as assistant chief of bureau in New Orleans, helping manage the news report and AP’s relationship with newspapers in the two states. Later that year, he was promoted to chief of bureau.

“Mike took on a big challenge when he came back to the AP,” said Michael Giarrusso, AP’s regional news director for the South and West. “It was just months after Hurricane Katrina, and the two states, newspapers throughout the region and the AP were still dealing with the aftermath of the disaster.”

McQueen was part of a Knight-Ridder team of editors who traveled to the Gulf Coast region in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. McQueen worked with the Sun Herald newspaper of Biloxi-Gulfport area in Mississippi, which won the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service in 2006.

“I will always remember him as a strong and able man who helped us in the time of our greatest need,” Executive Editor Stan Tiner said.

Earlier in his career, McQueen was an editor at The Miami Herald, where he was part of a Pulitzer Prize-winning team in 1993.

McQueen began his career in 1977 as a reporter for the Tallahassee Democrat in Floriday after graduating from Florida State University. He had a master’s degree in communications from Florida Atlantic University.

McQueen joined AP for the first time in 1980, working in Miami as a reporter and editor, and then in Tallahassee as correspondent before joining The Miami Herald in 1984. McQueen later worked on the staffs of USA Today and Gannett News Service, and served as chair of the journalism and broadcasting sequence of Florida International University’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication.

McQueen was a longtime member of the National Association of Black Journalists and was the organization’s Southeast regional director from 1986 to 1988.

Ronnie Agnew, executive editor of The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., said McQueen was an outstanding professional who helped promote diversity in journalism.

McQueen’s oldest son, Michael McQueen II, was killed in 2006. His roommate, a fellow former U.S. Army Ranger he served with in Afghanistan, was convicted of murder and sentenced to 35 years in prison. “Even in times of great tragedy, when he lost his son, he was still calling Jackson to see if we needed anything from The Associated Press,” Agnew said.

Funeral arrangements were planned for this week at St. Ana Episcopal Church in New Orleans, said his wife, Glenda McQueen.

Other survivors include his son, Otto, of Thibodaux, La.; a younger brother, Christopher McQueen of Miami; and a sister, Nicole Brewton of Pembroke Pines, Fla.