UPDATE: Earlier wreck led to driving gunbattle that wounded two men in south Bibb

An ongoing dispute over a traffic accident led to two people being shot and two others arrested after a driving gunfight before 7 a.m. this morning in south Bibb County near Michael Drive and Rogers Road in Lizella.

Mark Thomas Strickland, 26, was shot in the face and back while Neal Adkison, 32, was shot in the neck, ear and shoulder, said Bibb County Coroner Leon Jones. Both men are from Macon and are being treated at The Medical Center of Central Georgia where they were in stable condition Friday afternoon, according to a news release from the Bibb County Sheriff's Office.

Jonathan Russell Curtis, 23, of Jones County has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault in the shooting of Strickland and Adkison. Curtis is currently being held at the Bibb County Law Enforcement Center, the release stated.

Christopher Eugene Harris, 32, of Lizella was arrested and charged with one count of aggravated assault. Investigators determined Harris shot at Curtis on Fulton Mill Road near Michael Drive. The two had agree to meet for a fist fight after having heated arguments over a friend who was involved in a wreck last week, said Capt. Mike Smallwood of the Bibb County Sheriff's Office.

After numerous interviews investigators learned Curtis drove his black Mitsubishi 3000 to Fulton Mill Road where Harris drove his burgundy Ford pickup behind him and fired at least three shots at Curtis from his vehicle, Smallwood said. Curtis drove off with Harris following him. Adkison and Strickland came along to back up Harris in the fight and Adkison drove out of the Carr's store parking lot at the corner of Mount Pleasant Church Road and joined in the chase with Strickland in the passenger seat of his white Honda Accord, the release stated.

The three vehicles sped down Michael Drive where Curtis slid his Mitsubishi to a stop and Harris drove off as the Honda pulled beside Curtis who opened fire on the two before driving off, the release stated.

A woman taking her children to school came up on the wounded men and drove them back to Carr's store where she called 911 and flagged down deputies, Smallwood said. Strickland left the scene on foot and went across the street to a relative's house.

Pat Beall said he and his wife were having breakfast when they heard the gunfire and found the bullet-ridden white Honda at the base of their driveway on Rogers Road where it intersects with Michael Drive.

"I didn't actually see (the shooting). I heard it though. It was several gunshots, tires stopping rapidly and a lot of commotion going on," Beall said.

By the time he got to the street the passerby had picked up the victims and carried them away in the dark, he said.

"I don't know what the problem was. It really surprised me this happening in this area. It's usually pretty quiet out here," Beall said. "I'm glad they didn't come up in our driveway here. If they had kept coming they'd be right up in our backyard."

Beall said he heard at least 15 to 20 shots and a loud sound at the end that sounded like a shotgun blast. Smallwood said Curtis was firing a .9 mm pistol while Harris was armed with a .380 automatic handgun. Investigators believe Strickland had a gun but are trying to determine whether he fired it, Smallwood said.

"There were shell casings all out here on the ground," Beall said. "We built the house here in '05 and we thought we were moving in a quiet area but it seems like we'll have to go back where we come from."

Crime scene investigators from the Bibb County Sheriff's Office gathered the evidence and photographed the blood-stained car and drops of blood on the concrete of Beall's driveway.

Beall's family watched from behind yellow crime scene tape as a towing company hauled away the white two-door Honda with several bullet holes on the driver's side and one spot on the passenger door that looked liked a bullet nearly penetrated the metal.

At one point sheriff's cars swarmed the Carr's Store where ambulances picked up the victims.

Smallwood said the incident is still under investigation.

"We're still investigating until we get to the bottom of it," Smallwood said.

Come back to for updates or read Saturday's Telegraph.