News

UPDATE: Two children hospitalized after Bibb County house fire

Two children were taken to the Medical Center of Central Georgia suffering from burns and smoke inhalation after a house fire Tuesday night on McKenzie Drive.

Five children ages 15, 12, 11, 10 and 6 were home alone when a fire started in a pan of grease on the stove where the 15-year-old was cooking french fries and sausage, said Macon-Bibb fire investigator Sgt. Ben Gleaton.

The 6-year-old girl was burned on her lower leg and foot when one of the children threw water on the fire.

"Grease and water is not a good mix," said Fire Chief Marvin Riggins.

Firefighters recommending putting a lid on grease fires to help extinguish the flames as water will spread the fire. Food should never be left unattended on the stove, they said.

The 15-year-old male was also transported to The Medical Center of Central Georgia for possible burns and smoke inhalation, Gleaton said.

Grandmother Mabelle Maye and the other adult living at 3528 McKenzie Drive were not at home when the fire started about 6 p.m., Gleaton said.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family as they cope with damage to their home.

Gleaton reports the kitchen was gutted and most of the rest of the house suffered extensive smoke damage.

  Comments