Macon murder suspect tells jury he feared for his life

A man on trial for fatally stabbing another man testified Thursday that he feared for his life during a Thanksgiving confrontation in 2008.

Mark Davis, 30, of Morrow, said he was on the phone when 45-year-old Roy Robinson started talking loudly. In response, Davis said he started to walk to a hallway so he could hear more clearly.

That’s when Robinson pushed him, Davis said, and he pushed back. Robinson then struck Davis in the back of the head and neck with a glass, causing a cut on Davis’ neck, Davis testified.

He said he and Robinson fought.

“I stabbed him because he wouldn’t get off of me,” Davis said. “I was scared for my life.

“He’d just cut my neck.”

Davis faces a murder charge in a trial that began Wednesday in Bibb County Superior Court.

In opening statements, prosecutor Sandra Matson said Davis stabbed Robinson 10 times — including five times in the chest and abdomen — at Autumn Trace Apartments off Rocky Creek Road on Nov. 27, 2008.

Davis’ lawyer, Rick Waller, told jurors the stabbing was in self-defense.

On the stand Thursday, Davis said he didn’t remember how many times he stabbed Robinson.

After the stabbing, Davis said he left the apartment and went to a friend’s apartment seeking help for the wound on his neck.

Finding that the friend wasn’t home, he told the jury he started walking toward a store and was picked up by police.

“I didn’t mean to kill him,” Davis said in a videotaped police interview viewed by jurors Thursday afternoon. “I thought he was going to kill me.”

Davis admitted that he had prior convictions for assault and battery, assault with a deadly weapon and attempt to commit a crime in Massachusetts and was sentenced to serve two years in prison.

Closing arguments and jury deliberations are scheduled to begin today.

Davis’ ex-girlfriend, Priscilla Lowe, testified Wednesday that Robinson, Davis and Terry Shawn Luke ate Thanksgiving dinner together at the apartment where she lived with Robinson and Luke.

Davis had called the previous day and asked to spend Thanksgiving with her, she said.

After dinner, Lowe, Robinson and Davis drank alcohol, watched TV and talked, Lowe testified.

Lowe said she saw Robinson smash a glass into Davis’ neck and the men continued to “tussle.”

Afraid she’d get hit, Lowe said she went into the kitchen.

Luke testified he saw Davis pull a knife out of his pocket, and he went to the bathroom, locking the door behind him.

Robinson and Davis continued to fight, moving down the hall, Lowe said, adding that she could hear commotion as they hit the hall walls.

When the commotion ended, Lowe said she peeked around the corner and saw Robinson on the floor and Davis coming down the hall with a black knife in his hand.

After emerging from the bathroom, Luke said he saw a lot of blood on the floor and Robinson wasn’t moving.

Information from The Telegraph’s archives was included in this report. To contact writer Amy Leigh Womack, call 744-4398.