News

2 children rescued as fire damages Lucas home in east Macon

Two children were rescued early this morning from the burning home of Rep. David Lucas and Councilwoman Elaine Lucas.

The fire was reported at 2:45 a.m. at 2594 Saratoga Drive in east Macon.

Capt. John W. Robertson said a fire started in a front bedroom of the split-level house and there was a lot of heat and smoke damage throughout the house.

As firefighters initially started fighting the blaze, they heard two children in the lower level of the house.

Captains Robertson and Danny Angelo found the children and carried them to safety. .

David and Elaine Lucas made it out of the house safely also, Robertson said.

David Lucas said he was asleep when the fire broke out.

"Elaine woke me up," he said. "I was lying on the bed and she hit me and hollered, 'The house is on fire!'"

David Lucas said he went to get some water in the kitchen to try to extinguish the small fire but when he returned the blaze met him in the hall so Lucas immediately went to look for the grandchildren.

"I went down there looking for them and they didn't answer so I thought they spent the night somewhere else because they had been to a birthday party," said Lucas whose face was burned and hair singed as he tried to find the children.

L.J. Lucas, 9, had taken his sister, 5-year-old Naire, into the downstairs bathroom which is why their grandfather couldn't find them, Lucas said.

Both children were suffering from smoke inhalation and were taken to The Medical Center of Central Georgia. Councilwoman Lucas rode in the ambulance with them, her husband said.

David Lucas said his grandchildren were being examined and will have x-rays taken to determine the level of smoke damage. The fire is under investigation by the Macon-Bibb County Fire Department but Rep. Lucas said they believe it was an electrical problem that ignited clothes in the room.

Lucas does not believe the family lost any of the belongings of their late son Al Lucas in the blaze.

  Comments