Houston standoff ends peacefully

WARNER ROBINS — The Houston County sheriff’s tactical team was called out Wednesday after a Houston County man barricaded himself in his mobile home, but the incident ended peacefully when a hostage negotiator asked him to come out without any weapons and he did, authorities said.

Sheriff’s deputies and investigators recovered several guns, rifles and boxes of ammunition from inside the trailer on Lot 185 at Kingsridge Mobile Home Park at 1432 Dunbar Road.

Solace Grimes, 70, was taken to the Houston Medical Center for evaluation, Houston County sheriff’s Sgt. Al Elvins said.

Grimes, who is retired military and collects guns, is believed to suffer from early dementia and apparently had gone off his medication, Elvins said.

Deputies responded to a 911 call of a demented person, said Houston County sheriff’s Sgt. Guy Fussell.

The call came into 911 at 10:07 a.m.

Grimes’ wife told authorities that Grimes had threatened her and pointed a gun at her while she was in the bed, Elvins said. She was already out of the home when deputies arrived, Elvins said.

Deputies, who found Grimes armed inside the home, backed off and called in the sheriff’s response team, a special tactical unit, Elvins said.

Elvins, who is the hostage negotiator for the sheriff’s response team, said he was able to get Grimes’ telephone number from his daughter, who had been called to the scene.

Elvins said he called Grimes and asked him if he’d be willing to come outside and talk with him, which Grimes agreed to do. Elvins said he told him to leave any weapons inside, which he did, and Grimes was taken into custody without further incident.

Investigators found a gunshot hole in the floor of the bedroom closet and a bullet from underneath the trailer where Grimes had fired downward inside the bedroom closet, Elvins said.

Many of the guns, rifles and ammunition, still in the original boxes, are from the World War II era, the investigator said.

“I don’t think he was a threat to the community at large,” Elvins said. “I don’t think he was looking for a gunfight.”

Elvins called Grimes at 10:38 a.m. and Grimes was in custody at 10:42 a.m.

While Elvins was talking with Grimes, the tactical team was setting up in the parking lot of nearby Oak Grove Baptist Church.

“It ended good,” said Elvins.

The investigation is too preliminary to make a determination yet on whether any charges will be filed against Grimes, Elvins said.

The weapons will likely be released to a family member, but the ammunition will not, Elvins said.

To contact writer Becky Purser, call 923-3109, extension 243.